Traffic can get hectic on .
So hectic that the Seal Beach Police Department will be watching McGaugh Elementary School closely Wednesday.
“The Seal Beach Police Department will continue to enforce these safety concerns vigorously as the safety of our children is of paramount importance,” said Sergeant Steven Bowles in a written statement. "Please understand there will be NO GRACE PERIOD for enforcement."
To protect you and your kids, SBPD offered some back-to-school traffic safety tips. These tips are also helpful for drivers who don't have school-age children:
- Left turns out of McGaugh are prohibited into and out of all the driveways except the driveway closest to Riviera.
- It is a moving violation to turn or drive through the crosswalk when the school crossing guard is in the crosswalk.
- If the lights are illuminated and bus stopsigns are extended, stop for school busses as you approach from behind and from the opposite side. You could be fined $1,000 otherwise.
- Don't drive past a line of stopped cars in the bicycle lane. Pay specific attention to the bicycle lanes.
- Please watch your speed.
- Wear your seatbelts and be a good example to your children.
- When transporting younger children, please put them in the appropriate car seat or booster seat. Children under the age of eight must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat. Children under the age of eight who are 4 feet 9 inches or taller may be secured by a safety belt in the back seat.
- Do not talk on the phone or text while driving.
- Check traffic and parking signs before dropping your kids off curbside. Many of the signs prohibit stopping of any kind and this includes dropping off or picking up your kids.
- Avoid road rage incidents and call 9-1-1 if there is is an immediate safety hazard or an issue in need of immediate police attention.
- If you have a complaint about another driver or a safety issue, please contact the on-duty SBPD Watch Commander at 562-799-4115 with specific times, vehicle descriptions, locations and directions of travel.
If you have any questions, please contact Sergeant Steve Bowles at 562-799-4100, at extension 1160.