Four Democrats and four Republicans were certified by the California Secretary of State's office Thursday as candidates who will appear on the June 5 ballot to represent the 47th Congressional District.
The district includes Los Alamitos, Rossmoor, Long Beach and also includes Catalina Island.
Here's who will be on the ballot:
- Alan Lowenthal: Democrat / Long Beach / State Senator
- Peter Mathews: Democrat / Long Beach / College professor and educator
- Jay Shah: Democrat / Long Beach / Doctor
- Usha Shah: Democrat / Long Beach / Charitable organization president
- Gary DeLong: Republican / Long Beach / Small businessman
- Steve Foley: Republican / Cypress / (No designation)
- Sanford W. Kahn: Republican / Long Beach / Small business owner
- Steven T. Kuykendall: Republican / Long Beach / Businessman
The top two vote-getters in the June 5 primary election will advance to the Nov. 6 general election regardless of party preference or whether one candidate receives a majority of votes in the primary. The primary election will include elections for U.S. President, the U.S. Senate, the U.S. House of Representatives, as well as state Senate and state Assembly seats.
As of Jan. 3, 2012, there were 356,549 registered voters in the 47th Congressional District with 42 percent registered as Democrats and 32 percent registered as Republicans, according to data from the Secretary of State's office.