Two Camp Pendleton-based Marines have been booked on suspicion of shooting out the windows of many stores and cars from San Clemente to Newport Beach this weekend, an Orange County sheriff's spokesman said today.
Joseph Ikaika Nahale of Fremont and Jesse Jordan Ivie of Gresham, Oregon, both 20 years old, were booked on suspicion of felony vandalism and shooting into an occupied vehicle, said Jim Amormino of the Orange County Sheriff's Department.
A 25-year-old woman who works at the Gelson's grocery store in the Monarch Bay Plaza shopping center at Coast Highway and Crown Valley Parkway in Dana Point was resting in the back seat of her car just before midnight Saturday when the rear and passenger side windows were shot out, Amormino said.
The woman saw a red Ford Explorer speeding away from the scene, he added. The woman was unhurt, but vandalism was estimated at $1,000, Amormino said.
Laguna Beach police were called to about 17 incidents Saturday night, including seven storefronts on Coast Highway and 10 vehicles that had windows shot out, Amormino said.
Three vehicles in San Clemente, two in Dana Point and one in Newport Beach were damaged Saturday night through early Sunday, Amormino said.
Nahal and Ivie were pulled over early Sunday morning in Laguna Beach, Amormino said. Police found two BB guns in the vehicle, he added.
Nahal and Ivie are active duty Marines. Amormino did not know their ranks. The two were booked in the Orange County jail and later released to the Marines at Camp Pendleton, Amormino said.
Police intend to seek charges with the Orange County District Attorney's Office, Amormino said.
Here is a list of businesses and cars that were damaged in Laguna Beach:
- 12-04014: 2094 South Coast Highway (Browne’s Flowers)
- 12-04016: 790 South Coast Highway (Merrilee’s Swimwear)
- 12-04017: 802 South Coast Highway (Cottage Furnishings)
- 12-04015: 1088 South Coast Highway (Laguna Surf and Sport)
- 12-04018: 1220 North Coast Highway (Unknown Business)
- 12-04019: 2nd Avenue at PCH (Car window)
- 12-04020: 326 North Coast Highway (Joanne Artman Gallery)
- 12-04021: 680 North Coast Highway (Unknown Business)
- 12-04022: 3rd Avenue at Santa Rosa Drive (Car window)
- 12-04023: South Coast Highway at Oak Street (Car Window)
- 12-04024: South Coast Highway at Ruby Street (Car window)
- 12-04026: 30922 PCH (Albertson’s Shopping Center)- (Car Window)
- 12-04027: 31720 Virginia Way- (Car Window)
- 12-04028: 763 South Coast Highway-(Car Window)
- 12-04029: 860 Glenneyre Street- (Car Window)
- 12-04030: 31625 3rd Avenue- (Car Window)
- 12-04031: 31641 3rd Avenue- (Car Window)
- 12-04032: 812 South Coast Highway- (Car Window)
- 12-04035: 31672 Pacific Coast Highway- (Car Window)
- 12-04036: 31660 Pacific Coast Highway- (Car Window)
- 12-04037: 425 Nyes Place- (Car Window)
- 12-04044: 2345 South Coast Highway- (Car Window)
- 12-04048: 31702 Fairview Road- (Car Window)
- 12-04051: 233 Nyes Place- (Car Window)
- 12-04054: 31582 Pacific Coast Highway (Coldwell Banker Real Estate)
—City News Service contributed to this report