The man accused of killing eight people in Orange County’s deadliest mass murder is scheduled to appear in court this morning to answer to multiple charges of murder.
Scott Evans Dekraai faces the death penalty if convicted in the shooting deaths of eight people at Salon Meritage in Seal Beach last month.
Dekraai was arrested blocks from the shooting scene just moments after the rampage, armed with three guns and a bulletproof vest. During his first court appearance Oct. 14, Dekraai’s attorney, Robert Curtis prompted speculation that an insanity plea could be in the works by referencing Dekraai’s antipsychotic medications in court. He also alluded to a possible change of venue given the high profile nature of the case.
However, since then, Curtis has been recused from the case, and a public defender has been assigned to represent Dekraai.
"We’re hoping the defense won’t request another continuance," said Deputy District Attorney Scott Simmons. Additionally, it would be unlikely that Dekraai would enter an insanity plea on Tuesday, he said.
“That most likely would come at a later date,” said Simmons.
Dekraai is accused of carrying out , 500 Pacific Coast Highway, about 1:20 p.m. Oct. 12. He remains jailed without bail. The eight people killed were the salon's co-owner, Randy Lee Fannin, 62; Victoria Ann Buzzo, 54; Lucia Bernice Kondas, 65; Laura Lee Elody, 46; Christy Lynn Wilson, 47; hairstylist Michelle Marie Fournier, 48, Dekraai's ex-wife; Michele Daschbach Fast, 47, and David Caouette, 64. Another woman who was shot -- 73-year-old Hattie Stretz -- survived.
Investigators believe DeKraai committed the murders as an act of revenge against his ex-wife, an employee at the salon. The two were locked in a bitter custody dispute over their 8-year-old son.
The arraignment is open to the public and is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. in the Santa Ana Superior Courthouse, courtroom C55.