Labor Day Weekend will be arriving soon.
Many Los Alamitos, Seal Beach and Rossmor families already have their plans set to enjoy a fun “get-a-way” adventure, engage in some sunny activities, or just relax at home.
After that, it is back to the routines we left in June with lunches packed and backpacks waiting at the front door.
School will start on Wednesday, Sept. 5, and the leisure tugs of summer will be finished.
Do you have everything in order?
Here is a list of considerations to help you to be absolutely prepared:
- Registration: If your child will be attending a new school, this should have been taken care of in the spring. If that did not happen, NOW is the time! Students new to middle school and high school have been invited to visit campuses, participate in activities to pick up their schedules and familiarize themselves with the new campus. If you do not have this on your calendar, contact the school to find out when to bring your child.
- Supplies: All the local retailers have started offering their “Back to School Bonuses." If you scour the advertisements, you can find Crayons for 50 cents and glue sticks for a quarter. Start doing your research to get the best deals for your youngsters.
- Clothes: If your child will be attending elementary school, they will need comfortable clothes and shoes. Flip flops and short skirts will not work well during PE and recess. However, a pair of shorts under those skirts will work wonders. Look for closed toe shoes if possible, or something that they can run and jump in without difficulty. And be sure and mark the inside label of those jackets and sweaters with your child’s name. Otherwise, if they are lost, you will have to pay for replacements.
- The “New Teacher”: Elementary class lists usually are posted just days before school begins. Each school will offer some type of “Meet and Greet” so your child will be able to acknowledge their new instructor. Sometimes these are held the day before school or, as in my school, it might be on the first day of school. This is a wonderful opportunity for both you and your child so plan to be there.
- Kindergarten: Everything is different in the “Kindergarten World” so if you happen to have a five year old who can’t wait to move to “Big School”, be sure you are prepared. First, you may have a “before school” assessment. Check your school to find out if that is the case. Secondly, lists will be posted to help you discover whether or not your child will be an “Early Bird” or a “Late Owl." You will need to know this in order to bring your child to school that very first day! Kindergarten schedules have changed this year. Make sure you are aware of the new times. Within a day or two of the time that the “early or late” list is posted, you will find out who the new teacher will be. Also important, you will likely attend the first day of class with your child because it will be a modified day!