.

OC Bus Fares Jump 20 Percent

Bus fare increases will kick in across the county Sunday.

Bus fares in Orange County will increase by about 20 percent, beginning Sunday.

The Orange County Transportation Authority Board of Directors approved the fare increases, the first since 2009, in November.

Starting Sunday, bus riders will pay $2 instead of $1.50, the day pass will increase $1 to $5 and the monthly pass will increase from $55 to $69.

To help commuters, OCTA is offering a new discounted five-ride pass for $9 and a 10 percent discount on pre-paid day passes. The agency will offer nonprofit agencies a 5 percent discount on bulk purchase of passes.

Since the last fare increase, the cost of bus service has gone up from $98 per service hour to $108. The agency is required to cover at least 20 percent of its costs. If it falls below 20 percent, then the OCTA risks losing state funding, which accounts for half of its $267 million budget.

OCTA board members were able to avoid a fare increase in 2011 because of a boost in sales taxes.

The fare increases are expected to bring in $6.4 million more in revenue for the agency.

OCTA officials in November predicted steep cuts in service without the fare increase.

 - City News Service

Matt February 10, 2013 at 02:53 PM
I ride the 42 line often and the bus is about 20% occupied for most of the time with the exception of the bus that takes students to Los Al high school area. That is one bus in the morning at 7:00 a.m. Where does the other 80% of the operating costs come from? And why is the govt broke? Take a guess you Obama lemmings...
JustUs February 10, 2013 at 06:23 PM
Yep. Punish the working poor some more. Soon it will take about 50% of their income to ride the bus to work and back home again. Then it won't be worth working anymore and they will all go on public assistance and ObamaCare. heh. And then they will have hamburger machines at the fast food restaurants that will deliver your food to you! And the machines will even speak back to you and ask you if you 'want fries with that?' What a zoo they are turning us into. Entertainment is so cheap these days! :^)
Nancy February 10, 2013 at 09:10 PM
Oh, yeah right, Matt. Bus fares are Obama's fault! You are a nitwit.
Matt February 11, 2013 at 05:28 AM
Not too far from the truth.
Matt February 11, 2013 at 05:34 AM
And your alternative to subsidizing giant busses that run around nearly empty most of the time to keep union workers employed? The problem starts from the top down and last I checked Obama was at the top.
Mike P February 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Why do we have a program that can only cover 20% of it's costs to operate? They should shut down the bus program and buy the handful of people who use the bus a car. It would probably save the state millions.
Matt February 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Mike, That suggestion has been made many times. It is actually far cheaper to hire private limosines to run bus riders around for free. No politician can ever seem to explain why they keep the system intact, but then, no politician ever spends their own money on anything either. The system is a complete failure and always has been in Southern California.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something