This recipe holds a special place in my heart and with my taste buds. It has been a summertime treat in my family since I was a baby and it is a recipe any age can appreciate.
For the adults, it is quick, easy and sneaks fruit into your child’s diet. For kids, it combines three favorites into one dessert—cake, Jell-O and whipping cream.
- Make a white cake. (Any brand of cake mix or recipe will do.) Bake in rectangle cake pan.
- Using a fork, poke holes in the cake after it cools.
- Make small package of Jell-O (I prefer strawberry flavor, both for the taste and the red, Fourth of July appropriate color). Mix Jell-O using one cup hot water, ½ cup cold water.
- Poor liquid Jell-O over the cake.
- Cover the top of the cake with whipping cream.
- Chill in the refrigerator.
- Decorate the top with fruit (or other decorations). You can create an American flag using sliced strawberries as the stripes and blueberries in the corner as stars.
- 5 pounds red potatoes
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2/3- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 diced onion
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add potatoes to a pot of boiling water. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, so the potatoes are tender but firm. Drain, let the potatoes cool and cut them into cubes.
- Place eggs in a saucepan with cold water. Bring to a boil and remove from the heat as soon as the water starts to boil. Let the eggs stand in hot water for 10-12 minutes. Remove the eggs from the hot water and let them cool, before peeling and chopping them.
Combine the potatoes and eggs in a large bowl. In a seperate bowl, mix the mayonnaise, onions and celery. Season with the spices then mix it all together. Cover, and refrigerate for several hours.
Enjoy and Happy Fourth of July!